Monday 1 June 2015

A "Death" and a Funeral

Hola!

First, I´m going to start off by saying that my Mom is probably going to black-mail the blog with terrible pictures of my childhood ...again! For this I am truly sorry :p I forgot my camera in all the commotion of getting Hermana Alvarado ready to leave for home this past week.

So today, I said good-bye to Hermana Alvarado.  She´s flying home to Peru tomorrow.  I was so sad to see her go.  As she drove away, I felt a hole...left without companion.  I really grew to love her.  It was a little rocky at the beginning but throughout these past 6 weeks we had a lot of experiences both spiritual and funny.  I hope she´ll be ok at home.  I heard it can be hard adjusting to ¨normal" life  again.

On Monday we went to the funeral of Hermano Pedro Santander.  It was so heartbreaking to see his daughters cry.  I don´t like to see people in pain. His wife was calm though.  It still hurts when someone you love passes away but she has the calm assurance that she will see him again.  She´s preparing to go to the temple to be sealed to her husband.  They just reached 1 year mark of becoming members of the church a week before he passed away!
 
   
The cemetaries are very different here.  They have concrete boxes above the ground where they place the deceased.  They have a lot of niches too where they put their beloved in the walls of the buildings.  I have some pictures.  I´ll send them next week. 

This week in church, we talked about the parable of the 10 virgins.  Like the 10 virgins, we have received and accepted an invitation to the wedding.  We´ve  been baptised and are preparing for Christ's Second Coming.  We need to develop our testimonies and conversion drop by drop, like the oil that fills our lamps so we can be prepared when He comes again.
 
My new companion, Hermana Martinez is from Ecuador...yo creo (I think!)... or is it El Salvador. I have to pick her up at the terminal tomorrow.  This will be her final cambio (transfer - 6 weeks) too.  I feel like it´s my calling to help Hermanas with the transition of mission life to home life...2 muertes (deaths - that's what they call it in the mission when you go home. Saying "You died!" means you went home) in a row...

Well, I´m running out of time.  Not much else happened this week.  We spent a lot of time saying good-bye to the menos activos (less actives) and converso recientes (recent converts).  We´re going to start planning an activity to help the ward be more unified and work together in la obra misional(missionary work).  

Love ya´ll!

Hermana Jakob
 
 
(Mom's Note:  Yuppers! ... More blackmail photos from her youth!) Pictures of Eden from 2006-2009...Yard clean up!


Always smiling!


Feeding carrots to the bunnies: Chester (caramel and grey) and Sadie (white and caramel).


The "Princess" at her birthday party when she was totally in love with Nick Jonas of the Jonas Brothers and Zac Efron form Highschool Musical!  Hehhheh!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment