Monday 22 June 2015

Earthquake!

Hola!

So I´m sure you´ve all heard by now, we had a tremor in San Pedro.  It was a 6.4 but nothing major.  Only a little bit of movement  Me and my companion were praying and I started to feel the house move.  It was kind of like being in a big boat, bobbing on calm waves. It was such a weird sensation and made me a bit motion sick.  I realized what was happening and turned to my companion saying ¨What do we do?¨ I was ready to hide under the table.  She said nothing and continued to pray until Hermana Salazar burst through the door of our bedroom saying ¨¡Hay un temblor! Hay un temblor¡¨ (There's a tremor!  There's a tremor!) (She´s a bit of a spaz jajajaja!).  Hermana Martinez just told us to calm down and that it would pass.  The tremor lasted for a good minute but there wasn´t any damage.  During the night and the following day there were some residual after-shocks(echoes).  It was a cool experience!  Needless to say, because of all the earthquakes lately, we´re going to work on our emergency backpacks and make pan eterno ("eternal bread" is an emergency food staple item that provides nutrition and calories during an emergency, kind of like a granola bar.  It's dry and has a long shelf life when sealed properly) to stock up on food.  We already have water but I think it would be a good idea to save up more.  Who knows how long we could be without clean water if something big happens.  I´m not scared at all with that possibility, in fact, it would be kinda exciting!  I´m not saying it would be fun because natural disasters are never a laughing matter but I have confidence that Heavenly Father would take care of us.
 
 
This week, all the sisters in the San Pedro zone came to La Marina to help us find new people to teach.  We started with a capacitación (training) that was based on a BYU talk by Sheri Dew.  It reminded me of my purpose as a missionary and as a child of God.  Sometimes it´s hard to choose the right and to keep moving forward but Heavenly Father hasn´t left us solo.  He´s given us lots of tools so we can all become people of spiritual power.  
I also love what Sheri Dew said about understanding the language of revelation.  I know sometimes I think ¨Is this impression really from God? How do I know that I´m receiving personal revelation?¨ A friend asked her “Have you asked the Lord to teach you how He communicates with you?” I know I´ve never thought to ask so I have began to pray daily that He will tell me. In the mission, little by little I´m learning to recognize the whisperings of the Spirit.  It´s like learning a new language.  In time I hope to become fluent.  

I invite you all to read the talk and pray that it will help you in some way.

Love you all!  I hope all you fathers out there had a great Father´s Day! 

Hermana Jakob
 
 
Grafiti of a popular futbol team - Colo-Colo.


Partido! - Soccer match/game and food!


My companion Hermana Martinez.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment