Monday 23 November 2015

Dumbstruck and Bumps in the Road

This week I got to know my daughter!!!

(Term used when you become a trainer Sister.  Missionary Sisters use the nickname "mom" when you get a "newbie" straight from the MTC - Missionary Training Centre)

I travelled to Concé (Concepcion) on Tuesday. It´s about a 5 hour ride by bus so I took advantage of the time to study and write some letters.  Mientras (meanwhile), they were playing movies on the bus.  I think they showed Jurassic Park 4 but it´s interesting how when we focus on the mission, things that once called your attention don´t hold any appeal anymore. I saw the movie as just needless violence when I know before I would have thought it was cool.
 
I stayed at la casa de las Hermanas en (the house of the Sisters in ) Lomas.  We were waiting at the bus station for a member to pick us up.  She arrived about an hour late and said that they were experiencing troubles with their car.  We found that the radiator had a big crack in it and all the coolant had run out.  We said a special prayer that Heavenly Father could help us get the car back to Lomas.  We filled some bottles of water and filled the radiator and took off for the road.  Half way to Lomas, the car died....we were waiting for it to cool down when two guys stopped to help us jump start the car.   It´s cool to see that even though we had ¨bumps in the road,¨ Heavenly Father placed people in our path to help us.
 
I worked with Hermana Pemberton for the rest of the day (she´s training too!) And Wednesday morning took a micro (small bus), all nervous, to pick up our newbies. As we entered the chapel where the newbies were waiting, I looked at all the Hermanas and saw Hermana Bentley.  Without knowing before hand, I thought, ¨She´s the one!¨ What a surprise when they called us up together! My hunch was right! 
 
Picking up my daughter!  Poor thing!  She´s so tired! 
 
This week has been a blast.  We have learned a lot together (and I´ve re-learnt some things that I´ve forgotten).  Something really cool happened this week.  Hermana Bentley is learning Spanish right now.  Sometimes she gets frustrated because she can´t understand or express herself the way she wants (I remember going through this).   So we were talking to a Evangelical Pastor and he was yelling at us and saying that the Book of Mormon was fake and there can´t be anymore revelation from God.  She started to speak and bear her testimony of the Book of Mormon and of the Restoration and she spoke in perfect Spanish for about 5 minutes!  I was a little dumbstruck (she didn´t realize that she was talking perfectly for that long) and the man stopped yelling at us and thanked us for the work we were doing.  I know the gift of tongues is real.  The most important thing that we do is to teach by the Spirit.  We do what we can and Heavenly Father will make up the rest.
This week my scripture is Joshua 1:9 - Be strong and of good courage!
 
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
 
Love you all lots! 
 
Thanks for all your support and love!  Hasta el proxima semana!  (Until next week!)
 
Hermana Jakob
 
 
Hermana Bentley´s first empanada!  Really, I love her a lot.  She´s so smart and fearless!  She has such a strong testimony and a pure love for the people.  It´s true when they say you learn a lot from your children.  LOL!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment