Tuesday 1 September 2015

Simplicity and the Professor's Final Exam

This week was really good!  Heavenly Father blessed us in many ways.

Cristian , our investigador (investigator), is golden.  He´s searched long for the truth.  He has studied with the Catholics, Adventists and Evangelicals and has a lot of knowledge of the Bible. He came to church again and loved the 5th Sunday devotional.  He is so excited to be baptized!  His family says that he talks about it everyday.  They´re really good in helping answer his questions and doubts.  His cousin said the other day, he was reading about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and yelled ¨Are you kidding me!  It´s that simple!  Everything I´ve read and studied finally makes sense!¨  

In that it is true.  I know that the doctrine of Jesus Christ is simple, easy to be understood.  We don´t need to make it complicated.  

I´d like to share a story with you all that I heard.  This week in the ward, there was a focus on serving your fellow men.  

In his monthly ward newsletter a young bishop wrote of a group of religion instructors at a theological seminary who were taking a summer course on the life of the Saviour, -one focusing particularly on the parables.
When the final exam time came, the students arrived at the classroom to find a note on the table stating that the exam would be given in another building across the campus.  The note also said that the test must be finished within a 2 hour time period that was starting from that very moment.  
The students hurried across the campus.  As they ran, they passed a little girl crying over a flat tire on her bike, an old man hobbling painfully toward the library with a cane in one hand with spilled his books on the sidewalk.  On a bench, by the union building, sat a shabbily dressed bearded man with a sign: ¨I need money to eat. Please help me.¨
Rushing into the other classroom, the students were met by the professor, who announced that they had all failed the final exam.
The only true test to whether they understood the Saviour´s life and teaching, he said, was how they treated people in need.  Their weeks of studying had taught them a great deal of what Christ had said and done.  But nothing they learned in class was as effective as the lesson they learned from the professor´s exam.

We can read and study and grow in our knowledge of Jesus and his teachings but it doesn´t serve a purpose unless we apply what we've learned.  Jesus taught not only to be heard but to be followed. 

I feel like I have really grown this cambio (transfer) to have a heart full of charity.  I love all the people I talk to! Even if I don´t know them!  I thank Heavenly Father for all of ways he has blessed my life and for the opportunity I have to be His hands and help bring blessings to His children here in Chile.

Love you all lots!  Hope you have a good week!

Hermana Jakob



We found wigs in a member´s house and had a little fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment